Friday, December 31, 2010

Praying

Now some of you might expect a post on here to consist of a resolution to blog more (which I know I should) yet that is not what I'm posting in fact.

What I want to reflect on instead is the process of the creation of this painting below. It may not even be complete as yet as the paint is still wet! This is one of t hose pictures that I've been living with for some time. the roots of it may got back a very long time but the more recent prompt came in November at Youthwork the Conference.

I've tried to capture what prayer feels like. For me I have times of deep connection with God when I get a sense of the Holy Spirit very tangibly moving between my open hands as a living, warm power. I also get a sense of purple, if that makes sense. I've tried to capture these things in this picture but it's still not quite enough. trying to capture something so other-worldly in a static form is always going to be wrought with difficulties.

I'm still not sure that this really conveys how prayer feels but painting it has made me reflect on my experience and wonder how prayer feels for others. It's one of those things people don't often feel comfortable talking about but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience to mine (or one totally disimilar!).

What colour is your prayer?

1 comment:

Mel said...

Such an interesting thing to ask about! I'm curious to see what others say :)

I don't know about a colour (although my colour of choice is always blue!) but my prayer feels from the inside, rather than the outside.

I feel an open sensation in my chest when I am deep in prayer, this might then extend down through the core of my body- it feels like my soul is sort of waking up (that's the easiest way to explain it) and connecting with God.

I am also frequently aware of a presence on my right side and slightly behind me, even when I'm not praying.